Home should be the place where we feel the safest. However, statistics show that the home has many things that can cause accidents. For Alzheimer’s patents especially, the home can present many safety hazards. Here are some tips for proofing your home for Alzheimer’s patients.
- Lock up any potentially hazardous substances. They can range from detergent in laundry rooms to medicine in the bathroom to cleaning supplies for the kitchen.
- Keep rooms well lit. Shadows in rooms can cause confusion for Alzheimer’s patients. The light can keep them from becoming disoriented. Also, have a night light in their rooms and the bathrooms.
- Reduce water temperature. Set the thermostat on the hot water heater to below 120 degrees Fahrenheit. This way, they won’t be able to scald themselves by accident.
- Consider removing locks on their bedroom doors and bathrooms. This can prevent them locking themselves in.
- Keep rooms clutter free.
- Revamp the bathroom with items such as shower seats, grab bars, non-slip mats for the bathtub, shower, and areas around them.
- Remove decorative fruits and vegetables as these can appear edible in confused states.
Alzheimer’s safety is a prime concern. Remember, we are here to help. We can create an effective care plan for your loved one based on his or her situation.