November is National Family Caregivers Month. Family caregiving is a tough, unpaid job. The value of services provided by informal caregivers has an estimated worth of $470 billion. To celebrate these wonderful women and men, we want to shine a light on some interesting statistics about caregivers in the U.S.
The following statistics are provided by the Family Caregiver Alliance National Center on Caregiving.
• 85% of caregivers care for a family member
• 42% of the above people care for a parent, 15% care for a child
• 75% of caregivers are female, though the percentage of male caregivers has been rising in recent years
• 48% of caregivers are between 18-49 years old with 34% being 65 or more
• 43.5 million people provided unpaid care to either an adult or child in the last 12 months
• 34.2 million of these people provided unpaid care to an adult aged 50 or more
• Most caregivers care for one adult. Though, around 15% of caregivers care for two adults, and 3% care for more than two adults
Caregiving is a tough job. This month, and every month really, be sure to give special thanks to appreciation to any caregivers you know.