At any age, humans need certain vitamins and nutrients to function at their best. As we get older, those demands change. As good nutrition is important to overall health, here is a list of essential vitamins and nutrients for older adults.
• Calcium and Vitamin D: Both are important for bone health
• Vitamin B12: Supports blood and nerve cells
• Folate: Helps with anemia
• Vitamin C: Immune system booster
• B6: Helps regulate metabolism and boost immune system
• Probiotics: Aids with digestion. Important as digestive functions somewhat as we age.
• Fish Oil: Helps with heart health
• Magnesium: Helps regulate blood pressure and blood sugar
Ideally, the best way to get these nutrients is through diet. However, age-related issues might make that a challenge. In that case, it may be good to talk to your doctor about supplements. He or she can help you decide if supplements are right for you.